Rosemary essential oil is extracted from (mainly) the leaves of the Rosemary bush (Rosmarinus Officinalis), native to the Mediterranean but now found all over Europe. The oil has a woody, evergreen scent.
Highly regarded by the Greeks and Romans, Rosemary has long been associated with improved memory, featuring in Shakepeare’s plays and ancient folk songs. Modern research is showing promising links between Rosemary Essential Oil and nerve repair, neurological tissue improvements and brain function. Research that offered people with Altzeimers Rosemary found some experienced improved orientation and alertness.
Rosemary Essential Oil is rich in anti-oxidants, most importantly carnosol, which is considered valuable for its anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
Invigorating and stimulating, Rosemary Essential Oil is also considered to offer the following benefits:
- Skincare: Rosemary Essential Oil may be included in preparations for oily skin, added to shampoo or rubbed into the sclp in a carrier oil to thicken hair and scalp.
- Massage: A few drops of Rosemary Essential Oil added to massage oils can help to soothe muscular aches and pains and digestive discomfort.
- Aroma/Vapour Application: Use Rosemary essentail oil with oil burners, infusion sticks or vapourised in steam for reducing stress, anxiety, tension, and headaches, to reduce nervousness and increase concentration.
- Hormonal balance: Rosemary can be valuable in helping to balance androgen and estrogen in the body.
- Lower DHT (dihyroxytestosterone) is considered to improve hair growth and prostate health.
- Healthy Living: Rosemary is believed by some users to reduce cancer risk.
- Nerve repair: Increased nerve growth factor and healing of nerve tissue is reported by some researchers.
- Stress relief: Used together with Lavender Essential Oil, Rosemary as been seen to reduce cortisol levels – the body’s indicator for stress and chronic disease. Using the oils as part of an aromatherapy treatment is an easy way to relax the body for better health.